Vermont Chowder Championship!January 14, 2015
Join Vermont Fresh Network and Lake Champlain International in our inaugural Fish Chowder Championship!
We are welcoming any and all talented chefs, home cooks, fishermen and thrill seekers to put their recipe to the test. Extra points are awarded for fish caught in Vermont lakes and ponds, so team up with your local angler for the best chance to win!
The four top chefs will battle for the title of VT Chowder Champion in the Vermont PBS Studio Kitchen! After being named the Chowder Champ on air, the winner will receive the following:
- Overnight stay for two at Hotel Vermont
- Dinner at Bleu Northeast Seafood
- Breakfast at Juniper
- A personalized, engraved cutting board from Carved Solutions, and …
- A 4-hour fishing professional fishing trip on Lake Champlain with Captain Thorny
And, get this, if the winner books her or his fishing trip the day of their overnight stay, Hotel Vermont Executive Chef Doug Paine will prepare their catch for them!
REGISTER HERE (Click!)
You must register to enter.
Where to Submit Your Entry!
Yankee Sportsman’s Classic
Sunday, January 18, 2015
1 pm - 2 pm
Bring your entry to the Lake Champlain International booth. Celebrity judging will happen at the show!
Vermont Farm Show
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
4 pm - 6 pm
Bring a chilled 1/2 gallon of your entry to the Vermont Fresh Network Booth during the Buy Local Market at the Vermont Farm Show. Or A closed door judging by VFN chefs and farmers will happen the following day and will be filmed by PBS Vermont.
Saturday, February 28, 2015
After the Mardi Gras Parade -- this round will be judged by the public!
2015 Fish Chowder Championship Official Rules
If you have questions or comments, please call (802) 879-3466.
1. Register in advance online at www.mychamplain.net/chowder
2. Supply the recipe and brand/source for all ingredients on a typed sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper with name, phone, email, address and any relevant information about your fish ingredients.
3. For Yankee Show, entrants must bring a half gallon of the finished entry in a working crockpot to the designated booth.
4. Yankee Show entrants must be present to win.
5. For Farm Show, entrants must bring a chilled half-gallon of chowder in a non-returnable container to the designated booth.
6. Farm Show entries will be judged the following day and entrants need not be present to win.
7. All entrants must agree to participate in the on-air cook-off on VT PBS if their entry is selected.
8. Scoring—Maximum point total of 18 points
Points will be awarded in the following manner:
- Taste: Maximum score of 5
- Texture: Maximum score of 5
- Ingredients: Maximum score of 5 if all ingredients locally sourced within 200 miles of Burlington, VT. Deductions will apply for ingredients not meeting the preceding criteria.
- 3 points if fish caught by cook or immediate members of the cook’s family in Vermont waters
- 2 points if only VT fish is utilized not having been caught by the entrant
9. Participants agree to appear in photos and videos with the judges/organizers and to having their images and recipes used in press and future promotions.
10. Participants agree to share their enthusiasm for Lake Champlain and all Vermont waters as food source worthy of protection and restoration efforts.