Food & Farm Tourism Resources
Written & Online Resources Materials:
Introductory Agritourism Materials for Farms Compiled by UVM Extension includes:
- Types of Agritourism Enterprises
- Assessment of Agritourism Potential
- How to Guides for Hosting Events & Tours
- Farm Safety for Visitors
- Downloadable Signage Templates
The UVM site contains starting resources for developing educational activities and activities for children - for more information on those topics see also the Farm-Based Education Network.
Vermont Department of Tourism and Marketing (VDTM) materials, including:
- Leveraging the Vermont Brand
- Tourism Research & Visitor Profiles
- Opportunities to promote your business through VDTM
- VermontVacation.com - a newsletter and calendar with highlights
- VDTM also allows businesses to build package promotions
Vermont Tourism Research Center, including:
- Research on Vermont visitors
- Agritourism research and resources
- Other research related to Vermont tourism and outdoor recreation
Farm Commons published this FAQs sheet "Agritourism on Your Farm and the Law" in March, 2018.
Farm Stay U.S. - National association for farm stays, includes a Northeast regional chapter.
Promotional Platforms & Groups - Food & Farm Focused:
DigInVT.com - A website listing places, trails, and events. Any farm can post consumer-facing events on the site, and any organization/ group can work with DigInVT on building trails, there are some additional criteria for having a full Place Page listing & profile. This group is also the one that specifically includes restaurants, via VFN.
Agritourism Task Force at Vermont Farm to Plate - includes task force meetings and a list serve, see link for how to join and to look for participants in your region.
Producer Associations / Farmers Market Association - These associations host events that highlight food businesses, coordinate special promotions for locations only open to visitors seasonally (for example Maple Sugar Houses, PYO partners in Apples to iPods, etc), organize trails, and other promotions.
Vermont Open Farm Week - Annual weeklong effort highlighting events on farms, includes marketing assistance and (by request / application) technical assistance, a great option for farms not regularly open to the public who want to try their hand at events.
Lake Champlain Tasting Trail - An international project with Quebec and upstate New York that highlights northwestern food and farm stops in a trail that circles Lake Champlain.
Vermont Tourism Network - Not exclusively agritourism focused, the network includes agritourism and facilitates group tours.
Vermont Attractions Association - The Vermont Attractions Association represents any attractions open to tourists, including agricultural ones
Vermont Tourism Summit - Annual event in spring, the location changes each year. In recent years it has had a food & agritourism track.
Other Promotional Platforms & Groups:
Organizations that actively work with food and farm businesses on tourism-related projects, but are primarily focused on a different business group
- Vermont Wood Works Council - In addition to overlap in the realm of maple sugaring, wood products businesses seek partnerships with food groups as related products (wooden cheese boards, locally crafted furniture in restaurants, products at farmers markets, etc.) and are part of attaching value to the working landscape as a core part of Vermont’s character.
- Vermont Mountain Bike Association - Their ride planning site includes resources on where to eat and stay while riding in Vermont.
- Ski Vermont - Includes Specialty Food Days promotions at ski areas in season.