Vermont Wine Marketing Project:
In 2017 and 2018, VFN will be increasing sales of Vermont wines in Vermont restaurants using funding from a Specialty Crop Block Grant and with support from the Vermont Grape & Wine Council. This project has multiple components over its two years: baseline research into the current perceived barriers and opportunities, webinars and written materials that begin to address information gaps, a training in how to organize successful peer-to-peer sensory evaluation systems, trade tastings with Vermont wine buyers and distributors, and restaurant staff field trips to local vineyards in the summer of 2018.
An initial report on perceived barriers to selling more Vermont wine in Vermont restaurants is complete. It reflects interviews with 21 people in different points of the wine industry, a survey to winemakers, and review of existing research on the topic of Northern Climate wine sales to restaurants. The research was designed to inform the menu of professional development opportunities offered during this grant, not reach definitive answers (as you will see in the report, consensus is. . . elusive). Conversations are ongoing and this information will be updated over the course of the grant.
Stay tuned for more in 2018. . .
Telling Your Winery's Story
Part of the value of a Vermont wine is a personal connection and sense of the larger story behind each bottle. That's true for wine buyers at restaurants as much as individuals at the store or visitors who might travel to your vineyard. This webinar looks at ways to tell stories that bring value to your wine.
The webinar will include:
- An brief overview of tools available for communicating your winery's unique story through both online and traditional media
- More detailed discussion of earned media and working with food / travel / wine writers
Notes from this webinar:
- Overall notes, in PDF handout form (this is a heavily revised version of FM's presentation that brings in the first half of the webinar)
- FM's presentation is here.
Vermont Winemakers Workshop
- Outline of the New York model for a Peer-Based Sensory Evaluation Group
- TED Talk on Radical Transparency (by people who have very nifty tech tools. . . we went with a whiteboard)
Webinar: Wine Distribution and Vermont Restaurants
An introduction to wine distribution and restaurant sales in Vermont, discussing:
*How to work in complement with your distributor to maximize sales *Opportunities for Q&A.
- VT Statute on Wine / Beer Franchise Agreements
- Regulations for Wholesale Dealer & Certificate of Approval Holder and Vermont Manufacturers
This project and its publications are supported by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Agricultural Marketing Service through grant #02200-SCBGP-12-5, a Specialty Crop Block Grant administered by the Vermont Agency of Agriculture. The contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not represent the official views of the USDA.